Monday, November 12, 2012
My First Tutoring Session
My first tutoring session went much better that I thought it would. Before the session started I was very nervous. I didn't know if I would be able to ask the right questions, if I would be able to get the student I was tutoring to open up and talk about the subject etc. But once we sat down and I got to reading the paper she had written, I was relieved. She had some great ideas in the paper and didn't go off topic. She covered all the questions that are required in the CATW exam and all she needed help with, was with organization of the first two paragraphs. After we were done with that, we worked on her few grammatical errors and we were done pretty quick. I am confident that she knows how to work around a CATW essay and since we had some time left we read the Reality TV article and discussed how she would go about writing an essay for that topic. Overall, I think the tutoring session went well and I can't wait to see how the next session will go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ok, so I'm glad you came up with something to do when you were "done pretty quick." If she doesn't have much to work on, then get her writing a new essay! The more we can get her exposure to new topics and experience writing fast, the better!
ReplyDeleteIn your Case Study, you will want to be more descriptive of her issues (what LOCS? What was the problem with the paragraphing?)and more detailed about exactly what strategies you used and how you know they worked.
Overall, it sounds like you had a good experience. I'm glad!